1. Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brothers;
2. The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.
3. Honor widows that are widows indeed.
4. But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them learn first to show piety at home, and so repay their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
5. Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusts in God, and continues in supplications and prayers night and day.
6. But she that lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.
7. And these things give in a charge, that they may be blameless.
8. But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever.
9. Let not a widow be put on the list under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,
10. Well reported of for good works; if she has brought up children, if she has lodged strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has relieved the afflicted, if she has diligently followed every good work.
11. But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to grow wanton against Christ, they will marry;
12. Having judgment, because they have cast off their first faith.
13. And at the same time they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but gossips also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
14. I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, rule the house, give no occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
15. For some are already turned aside after Satan.
16. If any man or woman that believes has widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
17. Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially they who labor in the word and doctrine.
18. For the scripture says, You shall not muzzle the ox that treads out the grain. And, The laborer is worthy of his reward.
19. Against an elder receive not an accusation, unless before two or three witnesses.
20. Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
21. I charge you before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that you observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.
22. Lay hands hastily on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep yourself pure.
23. Drink no longer water only, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent illnesses.
24. Some men's sins are evident beforehand, going before them to judgment; and some men they follow after.
25. Likewise also the good works of some are evident beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.