1. Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2. That you be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, that the day of the Lord is at hand.
3. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come the falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4. Who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sits in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
5. Do you not remember, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6. And now you know what restrains that he might be revealed in his time.
7. For the mystery of iniquity does already work: only he who now restrains will do so, until he be taken out of the way.
8. And then shall that Wicked One be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the breath of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
9. Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10. And with all deception of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11. And for this cause God shall send them a strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12. That they all might be condemned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13. But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God has from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14. To which he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15. Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which you have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16. Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, who has loved us, and has given us everlasting encouragement and good hope through grace,
17. Encourage your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.