1. And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles.
2. And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.
3. As for Saul, he made havoc of the church, entering into every house, and dragging off men and women committed them to prison.
4. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went everywhere preaching the word.
5. Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
6. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spoke, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
7. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many that were paralyzed, and that were lame, were healed.
8. And there was great joy in that city.
9. But there was a certain man, called Simon, who previously in the same city used sorcery, and amazed the people of Samaria, giving out that he was some great one:
10. To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
11. And to him they had regard, because for a long time he had amazed them with sorceries.
12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14. Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
18. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money,
19. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Spirit.
20. But Peter said unto him, Your money perish with you, because you have thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21. You have neither part nor lot in this matter: for your heart is not right in the sight of God.
22. Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.
23. For I perceive that you are in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24. Then answered Simon, and said, Pray you to the Lord for me, that none of these things which you have spoken come upon me.
25. And they, when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.
26. And the angel of the Lord spoke unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goes down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem to worship,
28. Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Isaiah the prophet.
29. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join yourself to this chariot.
30. And Philip ran to him, and heard him read the prophet Isaiah, and said, Do you understand what you read?
31. And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32. The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33. In his humiliation his justice was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34. And the eunuch asked Philip, and said, I pray you, of whom speaks the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35. Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what does hinder me to be baptized?
37. And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
40. But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.